Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mother's Day Dinner: Baby Back Ribs and Yukon Gold Garlic Mash

I love it when my husband cooks. I think he is a way better chef then I am, and he could probably earn awards someday. So, whenever I get the chance, I make him cook for me. For mother's day I knew exactly what I wanted: BBQ ribs and his to die for homemade bbq sauce. Unfortunately, I cannot share the bbq sauce recipe, I have been told it is officially a family secret. However I will share the ribs recipe, along with an alternative bbq sauce.  I think my husband does magic when he cooks because when people try and recreate his recipes, they never seem to come out as good. Never the less, here is the recipe, and good luck! Oh, and my husband found this recipe on the all mighty cougarboard.com... those BYU fans sure know how to cook!

Oh, and my Father-in-Laws ribs might be just as good...or maybe better. It must run in the family.



Baby Back Ribs

Dry Rub:
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp seasoned salt
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tsp Cayenne pepper
3 cloves of garlic

This will make enough dry rub for 2 or three baby back racks. Combine the above ingredients thoroughly and run into each rack. To make this easy on  yourself, put the racks in the middle of a sheet of foil before putting on the rub. This way, when the rub is all over the rack, you can just wrap it up tight in the foil, and no mess! Have the ribs sit in the fridge over night.

When you are ready to cook, place the ribs in a baking dish on top of a wire rakc, and cover the whole thing in foil. Bake the ribs at 350 for 3 hours or at 300 for 4 hours if you are like me and accidentally buy spare ribs.

During the final hour make the following sauce (again, not as good as my husband sauce, but still good)

2 c ketchup
1/2 c lemon juice
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp mustard
1/2 c diced onion
1/4 c butter
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 hot pepper sauce (or more if you like it spicy)

Combine in a sauce pan and simmer uncovered for 20 min, then set aside.

Once the ribs are done baking, put them on a medium heated grill, applying each side generously with the bbq sauce. Grill each side for 10 min or so.

And then the Yukon Gold garlic Mash that I made...

Yukon Gold Garlic Mash

   *  2 pounds small Yukon gold potatoes
    * 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups milk
    * 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
    * 2 large cloves of garlic, grated
    * Salt and black pepper, to taste
    * 1 tablespoon finely snipped fresh chives


Bring a pot of water to a boil. Wash potatoes and halve. Add to boiling water and cook until very tender, about 25 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and shake over low heat for 10 seconds to dry out. When cool, remove and discard the skins. Mash potatoes in a bowl. Warm the milk with the butter and grated garlic in a small saucepan over low heat. Mix into the potatoes until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the chives. Serve immediately.

1 comment: