Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Penne with Roasted Asparagus and Balsamic Butter

I love pasta. I could eat some for of pasta for every meal for the rest of my life. I am currently trying to lose some baby weight, so pasta is not something that I run to at this time. However, I did find this recipes that 1: looked pretty tasty and 2: looked healthy (as healthy as pasta can be!) and 3: was very easy! I loved this and 2 out of the 3 solid food eating kids liked it too. It is a winner in my book.


Penne with Roasted Asparagus and Balsamic Butter 

from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

1 pound fresh asparagus spears
1 tablespoon olive oil
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon light or dark brown sugar
1 pound penne pasta
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Snap the tough ends off the asparagus and discard them. Cut the asparagus spears into 1-inch pieces. Put the asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with the oil and ¼ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ of the pepper. Roast until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
While the asparagus roasts, put the vinegar in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until the vinegar is reduced to about 3 tablespoons, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar and the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat.
Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until just done, 11-13 minutes. Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Stir in the butter and vinegar mixture. Toss to combine well. Add in the asparagus, Parmesan, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese for serving.

2 comments:

  1. ohhh I crave this dish all the time. Love asparagus, so easy and freaking amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to make this soon. I FINALLY bought myself some balsamic vinegar. So next time I buy asparagus, this will definitely be on the menu!

    ReplyDelete