Sunday, December 4, 2011

Cheesy Potato Soup

I am on a never ending quest to find a really good cheese soup. I have made some that my kids like, or I like, or my husband likes, but no recipe has yet impressed us ALL. I like to have broccoli in mine, while everyone else likes straight up cheese. A friend of mine recently posted her cheesy potato soup recipe on facebook and I had to try it.

The verdict: My husband and I loved it, the kids thought it was ok. Good enough for me! My favorite thing about this soup was you could just make the base soup, then have add-ins at the table (broccoli, bacon, hot sauce, whatever floats your boat! Also, there are different types of cheese you can use, I used sharp cheddar... but it is great because you can use what you have on hand!

Cheesy Potato Soup

8-10 potatoes, peeled, cubed, boiled (8-12 min) and drained
2 cans chicken broth
1 to 2 C milk
bouillon cube
*2 packets mac and cheese seasoning
8 oz sour cream
broccoli, bacon, chives, hot sauce, etc as wanted

*  If you would rather, you can substitute 8oz of velveeta, or 2 cups of shredded or cubed cheddar

Boil the potatoes until fork tender, but not as long as you would boil them for mashed potatoes.  Add the broth, milk, bouillon and return to boil.  Reduce heat to low and add cheese.  If you are using the cheddar it is important to not allow the soup to boil after adding the cheese (with the other "cheeses" it doesn't matter).  Add the sour cream, stir til all is well incorporated.  You can add broccoli, bacon, cauliflower or other veggies as wanted or available. Sometimes you might need to thicken it to the right consistency by useing a bit of cornstarch and cold water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment