Wednesday, December 9, 2009

25 Days of Treats: Caramel Pecan Brownies

Do you ever have a day where you feel like you should be banned from the kitchen? Well, today was that day for me.

I was really excited to make the caramel pecan brownies! This is another recipe from my Mom that reminds me of Christmastime. I got the recipe from her about two years ago and I attempted it that year, and failed. I randomly left out the flour and eggs. I still remember my husband asking me "and what what point did you realize that your brownie batter had no eggs or flour?" So fast forward to this year (I did not attempt last year, I had a newborn, I did little or no baking), I was really excited to successfully make them and share the wonderful goodness with everyone. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to make my own caramel to go in them. I am just telling you now, it is not a good idea. just deal with store bought caramels and unwrapping them. That is all I am saying about that. Oh, and I left out the chocolate chips... which is good in the end, I didn't waste them.

Then I cut two fingers on our new bread knife... so I have banned myself from the kicthen the rest of the night.

So here is the delicious recipe and I hope you have more luck than I do with them. Maybe I will have to have my mom mail me some this year.

Caramel Pecan Brownies


4 squares  Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 pkg. (14 oz.)  Caramels, unwrapped
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 cups Pecan Halves, divided
1 pkg. or two cups chocolate chips
 
Line 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, extending over edges to form handles. Generously grease foil.

Microwave unsweetened chocolate and butter in large microwavable bowl on HIGH 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.

Stir sugar into chocolate mixture until well blended. Mix in eggs. Stir in flour until well blended. Spread 1/2 of the brownie batter in greased 13x9-inch baking pan.

Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until batter is firm to the touch.

Meanwhile, microwave caramels and cream in microwavable bowl for 2 minutes or until caramels begin to melt. Stir until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the pecan halves. Gently spread caramel mixture over baked brownie batter in pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Pour remaining unbaked brownie batter evenly over caramel mixture; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup pecan halves.

Bake an additional 30 minutes or until brownies feel firm to the touch. Cool in pan. Run knife around edges of pan to loosen brownies from sides. Cut into 24 squares.Theses are super rich, so be sure to make the servings small!

No comments:

Post a Comment