Sunday, December 20, 2009

25 Days of Treats: Crunchy Peanut Butter S'more Bites

This recipe falls under my category of  not worth the hassle. This recipe tricked me. At first glance it looked like this simple little recipe that just took a few 30 min refrigerations in between steps, no big deal. But, in turned into a gooey,crumby, chocolaty  monster!

First off, you have to make the peanut butter coin. I halved the recipe so I wouldn't have to make 230 peanut butter coins. So, then I thought if it is halved then I should be making 115 peanut coins. Somehow I only ended up with 50 (I apparently didn't squish them down flat enough). Anyway, so then you refrigerate these peanut butter beauties for 30 min, and then dip them in chocolate. I think 2 hours is more like it. After 45 min they were still soft, so when you dipped them in the chocolate, they just kind of melted and got squishy. Then, you refrigerate them again (which really was only 30 min this time), and you are to pipe marshmallow cream on them. Have you ever tried to get marshmallow cream to cooperate? It doesn't. It just got all over the place, and I could never get it to actually squeeze out of the bag like it was supposed to. In the end I spooned it on.

Are they good? Yes they are. Though there is a reason they are so little, they are very rich (hence the reason why I don't think I flattened them down enough), Will I ever make these again? No I will not.




Crunchy Peanut Butter S'more Bites from FoodNetwork.com

Ingredients

  • 2 cups crunchy peanut butter ( I used creamy, maybe that was my problem)
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter
  • 5 cups powdered sugar
  • 24 ounces (4 cups) milk chocolate chips, melted
  • 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 cup marshmallow fluff
  • 1 cup coconut flakes, optional
  • 2 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal, optional

Directions

In a large bowl, add the peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar and beat with a whisk or electric beater until smooth. Using a teaspoon measure, scoop the mixture and form into balls, then press into a coin shape the diameter of a quarter. Refrigerate to set up dough cookies, about 30 minutes.
To make bites, dip peanut butter coins in melted chocolate then toss in graham cracker crumbs until coated, double dip and double coat if you feel dangerous. Arrange the coated coins on a wire rack and refrigerate for about 30 more minutes to set. Add the marshmallow fluff to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Remove the coins from the refrigerator and squeeze about 1 teaspoon of marshmallow fluff into the center of half of the coins. If you don't have a pastry bag, use a plastic bag, fill it with fluff and cut 1 corner off and dollop that way. Then top each half with another coin to make a sandwich and place return to the refrigerator to set, about 1 hour.
Options: chop coconut flakes and add them to the graham cracker crumbs to use for coating.
Add puffed rice cereal into the peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar for a bit more texture and crunch.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment