Thursday, February 4, 2010

Buttery Peas with Thyme

I really struggle with vegetable side dishes. I am one to make a great meal, and then serve it with a side of steamed broccoli, peas, or corn. Nothing fancy, and if you are lucky, I will even put butter on them. When I saw this recipe on My Kitchen Cafe, I was so excited. We love peas at our house, but I love the thought of doing something different with them. These are great tasting and easy to make.

Buttery Peas with Thyme
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 medium onion)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 medium garlic cloves, finely minced
3 cups frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until the onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Stir in the peas and thyme and cook, stirring often, until the peas are just heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with black pepper (and additional salt if desired) and serve immediately.

Recipe Source: from My Kitchen Cafe/originally adapted from The Best Skillet Recipes by Cook's Illustrated

No comments:

Post a Comment