Saturday, February 6, 2010

Caramelized Onion, Walnut and Cilantro Chicken Salad with Homemade Hamburger Buns

I love to find new ways to use our leftover Costco rotisserie chicken. This is by far one of my favorite meals to do this. I love chicken salad a lot. My husband is not a big fan, mainly because most chicken salad recipes have too much fruit for his liking. When I found this recipe i was really excited, it has no fruit in it! Even better, my husband loves it. I also made some homemade hamburger buns to go with it. These turned out great. Both of these recipes are from The Sisters Dish


Caramelized Onion, Walnut and Cilantro Chicken Salad from The Sisters Dish

  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 cup chopped sweet onion (1 large)
  • 2 cups Shredded Chicken
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
  • 1/4 cup sliced green onion (2)
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh cilantro
  • 1 Tbsp. lime juice
  • Salt and ground black pepper (optional)

1. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion. Cook, covered, for 13 to 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes more or until golden.
2. In a large bowl, combine onion, chicken, walnuts, and green onion. Add mayonnaise, cilantro, and lime juice; toss to coat. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper.

Homemade Hamburger Buns from The Sisters Dish
  • 1 cup lukewarm water
  • 1 tbsp instant yeast
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature, creamed
  • 1 egg
  • 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup Castor sugar (very fine sugar, I just used regular sugar and it seemed to work fine)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 egg yolk (+1 tbsp water)
  • sesame seeds (optional)
Sprinkle the yeast into the water and leave for 5-10 minutes, until frothy. Stir to dissolve. Add remaining ingredients and mix well (I did this in my kitchen-aid). I let this knead in my Kitchen-Aid for ~10 minutes, until it is a soft, smooth dough. You could knead by hand on a lightly floured surface. I leave it in my mixer bowl, cover and let rise for 1 - 1 1/2 hour, until doubled in size. Divide dough into 8 pieces and shape into a flattened ball (the flattening part is important, or they end up really tall). Place the buns on a greased baking sheet, cover and let rise again for 30-40 minutes until puffy and doubled in size. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Glaze the buns with egg yolk and water mixture, then sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Bake the buns for 12 - 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove them from the oven and cool them on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment