Monday, February 1, 2010

Clam Chowder

This is a favorite recipe for my family and I. Clam chowder is delicious in general, but this recipe is smooth, creamy and rich. This is another recipe from my mother-in-law that I have changed ever so slightly. If you like clam chowder, then you will love this.



Clam Chowder
3/4 lb minced clams (or 2- 61/2 oz cans)
1 cup onions finly chopped
1 c finely diced celery* ( I have also used cerrly salt instead, about 1/2 tsp added in the other veggies)
2 c small cubed potatos
1 tsp old bay seasoning (optional)
3/4 c butter
1 qt half n half
1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp sugar
about 1 1/2 tsp salt to taste
pepper

Drain clam juice over onions, potatoes, and celery in a sauce pan. Add enough water to barely cover the vegetables and add the old bay seasoning. Cover and simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender (about 20 min). In a separate sauce pan melt butter then add flour and whisk for about 2 minutes. Then add half and half, sugar and pepper, then whisk until smooth and thick. Add half and half mixture to the veggies mixture, and let thicken to desired consistency. Remove from heat and stir in the clams. If you cook the clams, they become too rubbery. Serve with crusty bread and a couple dashes of hot pepper sauce. The hot pepper sauce will not make it spicy, it just adds that extra bit of flavor.

* My family and I do not like celery on it's own, but we love it in soups. When I buy celery at the store, I chop it up and freeze it. This makes it perfect for soups or other cooked recipes!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, that sounds delicious. I love clam chowder, I'm definitely going to have to try this one. I've never attempted to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete