Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentines Treats: Cookie Dough Truffles

This is a fun recipe to try, and to share. These were a hit at my dad's 60th birthday party (along with the cake balls). This time I made them for a church activity we had tonight, but I am not sure if they were a hit or not. To make it festive for Valentines Day, I put red food coloring in the dough, and drizzled pink chocolate over the top!



Cookie Dough Truffles
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1-1/2 pounds dark chocolate candy coating (I used Almond Bark), coarsely chopped

Directions

In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour, alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Shape into 1-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Loosely cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip balls in coating, allowing excess to drip off; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. If desired, remelt remaining candy coating and drizzle over candies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.

* As a request from a faithful friend and blog reader, I will give a few tips on dipping things in chocolate, although I feel very inadequete. My plan of attack is to melt the chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave. First for 1 min, and then in 15 min increments (stirring in between) until fully melted. I then tip the bowl a little, so all the chocolate pools together. I drop in whatever item is being dipped and swirl it around with a fork. I then lift the item out of the chocolate with the fork, and let excess chocoalte drip down. I then place the titem on a piece of wax paper.

I have also heard of people using tooth picks or plastic forks with two of the progs broken off. In that case you would actually poke the item to be dipped, and then dip it and place it on waxed paper.

As far as the drizzling goes, my husband and I learned how to do it tonight. First of all, your chocolate needs to be runny, so if it is not runny (and not burnt) you can add a little bit of hot water to it, stirring constantly until water is completely incorporated. Then to drizzle use a knife, it works the best!

1 comment: