Friday, April 30, 2010

Vanilla Cheesecake with Ginger Graham Cracker Crust and Blueberry Sauce

This is a recipe I have been hanging onto for almost 6 years. It is from the September 2004 issue of Real Simple, and I pulled it out with intentions of making it, but never did! Until now. Oh why do I torture myself by putting off recipes like this? It is so creamy and delicious, and the crust is just the right thickness and texture with a fun hint of ginger. Other then the "must be refrigerated over night" the recipe is simple and straight forward! Oh, and for your own sake, do not try and add up the calories. I stopped after I hit 3000 and I was only to the cream cheese. It is just better not knowing.



Oh, and I finally used my new spring-form pan!


Ginger Graham Cracker Crust
2 packages honey graham crackers, to make about 2 1/4 cups of crumbs
5 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons ground ginger
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350° F. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, grind the graham crackers to form fine crumbs. Add the sugar, ginger, and butter and pulse to combine. Press the mixture into a 9-inch springform pan, working the crumbs over the bottom and then up the sides. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly before filling or according to your pie recipe directions. This recipe makes one 9-inch piecrust.


Vanilla Cheesecake
*When I make cheesecake, I usually only make half the filling recipe. I like this better because the ratio between crust and filling is equal. The crust is my favorite part though, so if you like the filling, go ahead and make the recipe as is, but if you are like me, you can cut the cheesecake ingredients in half.


3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
4  eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1  prebaked Ginger Graham Cracker Crust
1 cup sour cream


1. Make the Ginger Graham Cracker Crust.
2. Preheat oven to 325° F.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add 1 cup of the sugar and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla and mix until well combined.
4. Pour the batter into the crust and bake until set, 45 to 50 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and the remaining sugar and vanilla. Pour the mixture over the cheesecake, spreading it to the edge. Bake 5 minutes.
6. Cool and refrigerate overnight before serving.

Blueberry Sauce
This is something I made up on my own! I simply took 1 cup of  fresh blueberries (frozen would probably work too, and you could use any berry) and put it in a sauce pan with a little bit of water (like about 1/2 cup) and about 2 tbsp of sugar. I cooked it over med-low heat for 15 minutes, or until the blueberries began to liquefy. It was very tasty on top of the cheesecake. I have also done this and put it on ice cream and pancakes or waffles. If you want to be healthier, you don't even need to sugar (but it sure makes it taste good)! 

2 comments:

  1. Brent and I finally pulled that out to eat it today. So good! Brent loved it, and I even ate some - I usually don't like cheesecake very much at all.

    ReplyDelete