If food wasn't already fun enough, themed food is even more fun!
Some girls and I in my neighborhood had a New Moon movie party on Friday. Part of the party was a themed dessert potluck.
I brought Vampire Bites and Vampire teeth
Vampire Bites (Cake Balls from Bakerella )
1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake) (you can use any kind of cake mix)
1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.) (you can also make your own!)
1 package chocolate bark (you can use any kind of melting chocolate, I have even used chocolate chips!)
1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (It may be easier to use fingers to mix together, but be warned it will get messy.)
3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50. You can get even more if you use a mini ice cream scooper, but I like to hand roll them.)
4. Chill for several hours. (You can speed this up by putting in the freezer.)
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)
I also only melt a few pieces of chocolate bark at a time because it starts to cool and thicken. It’s easier to work with when it’s hot. To top them off I used red sugar crystals, but you can be creative and add anything you want like different colored chocolate, little candies, frosting, mini-chocolate chips, coconut, chopped nuts...)
Vampire Teeth (Chocolate Covered Apples Slices)
As many red apples as you think you will use
Melting chocolate (the darker the better in my opinion)
Slice apples into slices (about about 8 per apple). Melt chocolate in microwave. What usually works for me is melting it 30 seconds at a time, and stirring in between. Dip apple slices flesh side down into the chocolate so that only the peel is showing after dipped. Set dipped slices on wax paper and decorate (I used the red sugar crystals again, but really you can be creative). The great thing about this is the apples don't brown (or maybe they do) because they are covered in the chocolate! Either eat right away, or store in the fridge. Eat within 24 hours of making!
Some other ideas: Make red velvet cupcakes, top with white or black frosting, and use a fork to hold up a quote from New Moon. Buy chocolate covered peppermint park (or make it your self) and label it "vampire teeth." Buy some Jones Soda in a red flavor and put a label on the bottle that reads "Bella's Blood"
What New Moon or Twilight themed food have you come up with?