Monday, January 18, 2010

Having a Well Stocked Pantry

When I was first married and was really beginning to cook, I was so lost at to what foods I should have on hand all the time. Seven years later, I have stocked up on the things that I most often use, and I know what produce I need to buy every month.Now, I am ready for most recipes or surprise guest that come my way.

I found this list in the December 2009 Parents magazine. It is a great list to things you should always have on hand in your kitchen. Everyone will be be different, of course, but this is a great starter list.I have added several things to it also, so it should be close to complete.

Cooking Basics
  • White flour- and wheat flour too, if you use it
  • Spices- These are the spices I would recommend: Garlic powder, garlic salt, seasoned salt, celery salt, kosher salt, cumin, cinnamon, ground ginger, onion powder, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, paprika, curry powder, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, dill, nutmeg, bay leaves, chili powder, lemon pepper, parsley, black pepper, and white pepper. 
  • Chicken broth
  • Vinegars: I usually have white, white wine, apple cider, rice wine, malt and red wine vinegars.
  • Oils: extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, and sesame seed oil. 
  • Soy Sauce: I recommend getting Tamari Sauce, you can find it right next to the soy sauce.
  • Garlic and Onions: It says to keep onions and potatoes separate because the gasses make each other soil. Good to know! I always have white or yellow onions and green onions on hand.
  • Cornstarch
  • Cornmeal
  • Sweetened condensed milk
  • Evaporated Milk
  • Heavy whipping cream
  • Sour cream
Starters and Sides: 
  • Instant brown or white rice 
  • Bread Crumbs: regular and panko 
  • Canned Beans: Black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, chili,and refried beans. 
  • Canned Pumpkin
  • Potatoes
  • Pasta- all different types
  • Pasta Sauce: I do not use jarred pasta sauce, so I would also suggest having canned tomatoe sauce and tomato paste on hand
  • Canned tomatoes: including rotel type tomatoes
  • Canned green chili's 
  • Canned and/or frozen fruits and vegetables: the ones you will use and eat
  • sesame seeds

Kid's Snacks  
  • Graham crackers
  • Peanut Butter
  • Popcorn: microwave and regular
  • Cereal and Granola bars
  • Dried fruit*
  • Dark Chocolate*
  • Baby Snacks*
  • I would also add fruits snacks and fish crackers
* I don't know about these things... I don't think they are really that necessary. 

Baking (they totally did not have a baking section, so these are all my ideas)
  • Brown sugar
  • granulated sugar
  • chocolate chips: all kinds
  • vanilla
  • shortening
  • different types of nuts
  • baking powder
  • baking soda
  • marshmallows
  • powdered sugar
  • baking chocolate
  • yeast
  • molassas
  • karo syrup
Last Minute Entertaining 

  • Crackers
  • Salsa
  • Tortilla Chips
  • Black Olives
  • Vanilla ice cream
  • Cool whip or whipping cream
  • Brownie Mix
  • Cake Mix
Of course there are some things missing on the lists, but this gives you some ideas of things to stock your fridge and pantry to be prepared to anyone, or any recipe that comes your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment